For International applicants
The SPbMSI is one of the standart Russian medical schools. Now we use the original medical educational program and effective methods of foreign students training. Medicine and taking care of people’s health is the sacred and the most humane profession in the world and the ideal way for clever, kind, warm-hearted and smart young people to enter. The MSI could be starting point for your new beginning even though it’s very challenging profession, prestigious career of a medical doctor is everyone’s dream. You are kindly welcome to join our SPbMSI.
SPbMSI Rektor, professor B. I. Shulutko, MD.
- General Information
- Tuition fee
- Education process and facilities
- Students accomodation
- Students medical care
- Admission requirements
- Admission procedures
- International activity
Saint-Petersburg is the cultural capital of Russian Federation and is one of the largest and most beautiful cities of the world. Many palaces, museums, cultural and educational centers are located in Saint-Petersburg. One of these centers is Saint-Petersburg Medico-Social Institute (SPb MSI). SPb MSI was established in 2004 as a Higher Medical School for Russian and foreign students.
SPB MSI is included in the official list of Higher Medical schools of Russian Federation with governmental registration №1047855032631 issued by Justice Ministry of Russia. Permanent License for medical education №001887, reg. №1806 dated 07.09.2011
Training of foreign students is being conducted since 2010.
Training of students in English medium is being conducted since 01.09.2014.
President of SPb MSI is professor Boris I. Shulutko, MD,PhD, D.sci.
Rector of SPb MSI is professor Sergey B. Maltsev, MD,PhD.
Vice-rector is professor Svetlana V. Makarenko, MD, PhD.
Programs offered are:
1. Graduate course “General Medicine”, qualification «Doctor of medicine» (MD), duration 6 years.
Languages of instruction are:
- Russian – for Russian–speaking students, or after 1 year preparatory course
- English – for English-speaking students, since 01.09.2014. Russian language is included in the English medium program as compulsory subject for 1-3 years.
2. Postgraduates’ courses (specialization) only in Russian language, duration 2-3 years.
Tuition fee (foreign students)
- In 2015-2016 study year 190 000 rubles (95 000 rubles per semester) — defined by MSI Scientific Council decision and published at the web-site: www.medinstitut.org
Preparatory course, 2d semester (February – June):
- In 2015-2016 study year — 90 000 rubles.
In the study plan for English medium for 2015-2016 study year all the lectures, seminars, small group discussions and exams are conducted in English.
At the same time for those Russian students who follow English-medium, in study plan of 1-3 study years “Medical English” is included as compulsory subject.
For foreign English-medium students «Colloquial and Medical Russian» is part of 1-3 study years.
Teaching staff of SPb MSI consist of the professors with long-term experience in Russian and English media of education in leading Saint-Petersburg and overseas Medical schools.
Academic year structure
- Autumn semester lasts from 1.09 up to 1.02 including exams
- Spring semester lasts from 1.02 up to 31.07 including exams and 1 month
- Summer medical practice 1 month: in Russia (Saint-Petersburg hospitals) or in the hospitals of the students’ native country by the students’ choice
- Summer holidays last 1 month
- Residency (ordinatura) – 2-3 year for specialization in particular medical specialties
- PhD training (aspirantura) – 3 year course of the highest level specialization for research or teaching activities
Facilities for educational process
- Classrooms and lectures halls equipped with VHS and DVD, computers, scanners, printers, multimedia projectors, video cameras, copy machines;
- Medical library and internet-based reference center;
- Research centers;
- State-of- the-art laboratories;
- Teaching hospitals: Pokrovskaya hospital, Railway transport Hospital, 5-th Child’s city hospital, Oncology center, Diagnostics center, Maternity hospital № 9, many others specialized centers.
Saint-Petersburg is the safe city with friendly and helpful population. Foreign students and students from other towns live in comfortable hostels, located close to the
subway and transportation stops.
The hostels provide all the necessary conveniences for study and relaxation. Rooms are equipped with furniture, bedding, central heating, electric or gas supplied kitchen for meals cooking.
Hostel fee is in the range 3 500 – 13 000 rubles per month.
Students’ medical care
Upon arrival and signing the «Agreement» for education, student must buy medical insurance, covering certain types of health problems.
Cost of 1 year medical insurance certificate is about 5000 rubles.
- Complete High/Secondary education with acceptable grades on Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
- Good health state.
1. Applicant sends on e-mail: email@example.com. until not later than 1st of July the following papers:
- Certificate of complete High (Secondary) education
- Passport valid not less than 1,5 years
- Filled application form (is attached)
2. After positive decision of MSI Admission committee, the Admission letter will be sent to the applicant and the invitation obtaining procedure will be started (in case visa is needed)
3. After getting the invitation applicant obtains study visa to Russia, buys the ticket to Saint-Petersburg and informs MSI about the arrival date
4. After arrival to MSI applicant must pass Entry tests in MSI and submit:
- Original of Certificate of complete High (Secondary) education certified in Russian embassy/consulate of applicant’s native country, translated into Russian and notarized
- Passport with entry visa translated into Russian and notarized
- Health certificate about mental and physical health, absence of TB, STD, HIV, HBV, HCV, drug and alcohol abuse, list of vaccinations
- 6 Photos 3×4 cm
- Other documents (the power of attorney and other papers in case the Certificate of equivalence should be made)
5. After signing the Contract, paying tuition fee and obtaining Medical insurance applicant undergoes enrollment procedure
International activity SPBMSI participates in the international educational projects with organizations of Euro Union countries such as: Norway, Sweden, Finland, also Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Teaching staff is trained at the University centers of Sweden.